Dermal filler is a naturally occurring sugar known as Hyaluronic Acid (HA). HA is found throughout the body in tissues (such as skin), cartilage and bone. When we are young, the body produces an abundance of HA and this makes our skin and tissue structures (such as cheeks) look plump, firm and our skin vibrant. As we age, our body produces less HA and this is at the core of the ageing process. A reduction in HA makes our skin appear dehydrated, increases lines and wrinkles and contributes to other tell-tale signs of ageing.
Dermal filler, such as Restylane®, Juvederm® or Emervel®, is used to replace lost HA. Small amounts are injected directly into areas where HA loss has contributed to the appearance of ageing, to rejuvenate the appearance. Dermal filler can be used to treat the following concerns (and more):
- Lips – to provide hydration, subtle enhancement to the pout, fill smokers lines
- Cheeks – to provide volume and structure, enhance cheekbones and improve the eye region
- Around the nose and mouth – to reduce folds caused by ageing and improve structure
- Jawline – to provide structure and enhance the face
- Temples – to fill hollowing temples and subtly lift the face
A thorough consultation is very important to identify if dermal filler is appropriate for you, which product should be used and to identify a realistic outcome for treatment. Please contact us on (09) 360 4078 to book a consultation with Dr Paul or one of his Nurses to find out if dermal filler is appropriate for your concerns.